I often look around my house and love the elements of my horror fandom that are clustered on the walls but wish I could express myself in a more…. grown-up and stylish way.
Am I the only one with this issue?
I don’t know, but I went on a room design Pinterest binge based on the Nightmare Before Christmas and I figured I’d share my thoughts, just in case someone other than me finds it’s interesting or helpful.
Oogie Boogie Living Room
For a living room I’d paint the walls purple and white and make sure to have some accent lighting in blues, ambers, or purples built-in at strategic moments, like glowing behind the book-shelves or the clock.
Here’s the links I found for the items shown:
- Green and Black Bookshelves – this was a DIY discussion/example from emilymacleoud.blogspot.com
- Framed Bugs – The photo was originally pinned from witandwhistle.com and she was talking about the framed bugs she found on Bug Under Glass
- Oogie’s Dice candles – Ebay
- Tree and glass coffee table – image from thatcreativefeeling.com the table was made by Sebastian Errazuriz, he has some beautiful stuff, btw
- Oogie Boogie book page art – it was originally from etsy, but it’s been sold, so I’d recommend tearing a page out of an old dictionary and printing it. DIY to the rescue!
- Vintage green clock – was from happydayvintage, but it’s no longer available. I’d recommend a can of metal-friendly green spray paint and an old clock from ebay.
- Black Leather Sofa – Overstock.com
- Black and White striped pillow – society6.com
- Oogie Boogie Grin Pillow – CanisPicta
- Striped wing chairs – originally from 1stdibs.com
Dr Finklestein Kitchen
For the kitchen, It’d be fun to give it a little flair from Dr. Finklestein’s laboratory, with grey and toxic green accents on the walls. I figured an industrial mix of wood and metal would tie it all together.
Here’s the links for these items:
- Color and Spikes mug set – from Symmetrical Pottery
- Example of Industrial Piping Shelves from Design Dining Diapers
- Jack Mug – DisneyStore.com
- Sally Mug – DisneyStore.com
- Deadly Nightshade jar set – Here’s the DIY tutorial
- Steam punk light switch covers – epbot.com the 3D printer plans are available through this site
- Recipe book Stand – No longer available, but it was originally posted on clockworkcouture.com – I’ll let you know when I find something similar
- Oil and Vinegar Apothecary green bottles – The image was originally pinned from cookedbrains.net but I wasn’t able to find this exact item for sale… yet *eyebrow raise*
- Jack Skellington Hand Towel – Designs by Sugarbear
Jack and Sally Bedroom
The bedroom is the easiest place to get overly excited about Jack Skellington throw pillows and lamps and bedspreads and… well, you get the idea. So I tried to find some elements that went that direction, but didn’t over-do it.
Here’s where I found the items in the collage:
- Ornate Purple Mirror – Secret Window Mirrors
- Glass bat votive candle holders – These were a limited edition design from PartyLite.biz, I think a crafty person could wire up something from things found at the craft store, or something like this or this is similar
- Jack and Sally Silhouette – from willpigg
- Amethyst Crystal Ball – was from Etsy – GrayVervain
- Jack Skellington Dresser – As far as I could find it was just a thought from Pinterest, but a black dresser and white knobs with some sharpie faces could do the trick.
- Striped Dresser – chintz.com
- Sally Pillow – CanisPicta
- Jack Pillow – CanisPicta
- Zero Pillow – CanisPicta
- Bedroom Set – the Pinterest demons ate it
More Horror Made Decorating
I’m planning on doing some more horror home decor posts in the future. I’ve got some ideas for Rockabilly style Classic Monsters, Alfred Hitchcock, Walking Dead, and Alien Themed rooms.
Are there any fandoms you’d like me to take a crack at?
Let me know by leaving me a comment below with your ideas.